Finally made it to 1000 citations!
Really pleased to receive the Top Paper Award from the Intergroup Communication Interest Group at ICA 2019 Washington. The research was funded by a C-Grant from the Centre for Chinese Media and Comparative Communication Research, and it was my first research examining the effects of music on media perception.
Very excited to be a co-investigator in the comparative project Visual Misinformation in Global Perspective: Platforms, Devices, and Users led by Cristian Vaccari at Loughborough University. Funded by Facebook Research under its Integrity Foundational research awards (US$150,000), the project will examine the role of platforms and users in the processing and dissemination of misinformation on social media.
Really happy that my application for tenure and promotion has been successful, and I will become Associate Professor from January 2019.
I will serve as Associate Editor for the forthcoming SAGE International Encyclopedia of Mass Media and Society. Looking forward to reading (and editing) the entries!
Will be presenting a variety of papers this summer:
- Digital communications and psychological well-being across different age groups: Examining the mediating roles of individual social capital and civic engagement @ ICA Conference in Prague.
- Examining Social Media News Engagement in Six Asian Countries and The Roles of Political Social Networks and Efficacy (with colleagues Hsuan-ting Chen and Francis Lee) @ Social Media & Society Conference in Copenhagen.
- Seniors and smartphones: An examination from a usage and symbolic perspective (with Cicy Tong) @ Social Media & Society Conference in Copenhagen.
- Party identification and support for normative and non-normative political actions in Hong Kong: Examining the moderating roles of alternative media and social media news use @ CEDEM Asia 2018, Yokohama.
- Invited panelist for Special Issue in Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly: Social Media and Political Campaigning @ AEJMC Conference 2018, Washington, D. C..
Just found out that I have reviewed my 100th journal manuscript. Just for fun I looked back at all my past ‘recommendations’ and found the following:
- 82 ‘Reject’
- 18 ‘Revise & Resubmit’
Of the 18 R&R, 2 are still pending final decision from the journal editors. The rest look like this:
- Accept after 1 revision: 6
- Reject after 1 revision: 5
- Accept after 2 revisions: 3
- Accept after 4 revisions: 1
- Reject after 4 revisions: 1
Has been a while since my last conference poster. The next one in May 2017 gives me the chance to brush up on my Adobe InDesign skills! I have been known to take my posters quite seriously. After all, the poster not only presents my research to others, but also represents the brand of my School and university. The least I could do is design a professional looking (though admittedly not aesthetically exciting) poster!
Very pleased to have my first output from a truly international collaborative effort accepted for the upcoming ICA 2017 conference in San Diego, with fellow researchers in the US and Germany: Self-construal, cultural values and everyday life with a smartphone: Intercultural differences in being permanently online and connected.
I also learned something new about APA Style. For referencing papers with eight or more authors one should list the “first six authors’ names, then insert three dots and add the last author’s name”. I am author number 7 out of 9. So I guess I will simply be known as “…” if the paper ever gets cited.